Thursday, April 14, 2016

Farley Hits the Desert Southwest, Day 12: Bombs, New Mexico Specialty Foods, and Hot Springs!

Today we headed into Albuquerque.  I had green chili and biscochitos on the brain.  My nuke had atomic power history.  It was his only request this whole vacation.  Except Social Distortion.  Let's not forget Social Distortion.

Someone had so few requests, I couldn't deny this one.

So, we visited the museum, which was far more interesting than I would've expected.  A lot of social history about WWII, the Cold War, and everything nuke.

The Tacos.  That's my kinda military unit

Then I googled the best places for chili and biscochitos.  New Mexico is famous for both.  The closest place for chili (#4 on the list) was the Frontier Restaurant across the street from the University of New Mexico campus.  It was almost a cafeteria, but so delicious.

Cheap and delicious, just how I like my food.

Next, we stopped by Old Town.  Which was a tourist trap and not very authentic.  When I saw the "Get your Star Wars Pendleton blanket here" sign, I was pretty much done.

 Maybe the only authentic thing
in Old Town besides the buildings.

Then we searched out the best biscochitos.  We walked in the bakery and the girl said, "Here you go.  Here's a biscochito.  We give one to everyone who comes in."  Um, now I don't need to buy anything.  Until I tasted this buttery, cinnamon-sugar little morsel.  We ended up buying six more.

What delicious little morsels!


From there, we headed downtown to wander around, had a beer, and then decided to head north and search out some natural hot springs near the Jemez Pueblo. We found them, along with the wallet of a guy from Colorado who was parked next to us. 

"Hot" pools at Jemez Springs

This one's just for Tina Eblen.


After a quick soak, we continued on north to a "campsite" along the road next to the Valle Grande Caldera. 

Anywhere's a campsite in a van.


No comments:

Post a Comment