Monday, April 18, 2016

Farley Hits the Desert Southwest, Day 16: Meeting an Icon

We got up early this morning and headed for Las Vegas, for the NOFX concert at the House of Blues at Mandalay Bay.  While Marc was driving, I found a spot on freecamping.net in a parking lot behind Bally's.  We pulled Farley in amid a bunch of big RVs and headed to the Strip.
 
We wandered south toward Mandalay Bay, doing a little gambling along the way.  We stopped at one of the restaurants on the walkway between Excalibur and Mandalay Bay for a bite and I watched the passing crowd closely for NOFX band members but didn't see any.  We got to Mandalay Bay and Marc bought our tickets and we headed in.  At security, the guy asked me to empty my pockets and put my arms out.  I was so focused on him, I didn't realize that Fat Mike the lead singer of NOFX, walked by the other way.  After we were past security, Marc said, "Fat Mike walked by the other way while you were emptying your pockets.  In fact, you bumped his girlfriend when you put your arms out."  Dammit, Marc; epic fail!  And, of course, I couldn't leave once I was inside.

This is how old men dress for punk shows:
In punk record label shirts and peepers.


The concert was great.  I am not the hugest NOFX fan.  However, I am a huge fan of the band's between-song banter.  Again, we were right in front.  I feel a little guilty taking up valuable big-fan space, but I enjoy being up there, unless I start getting shoved too much. 

Fat Mike, best stand-up comedian in punk rock.



After the show, Marc pointed out their manager, Kent, in the sound area.  Years ago, NOFX did a TV series of their international tour.  Kent was hysterical.  He drank quite a bit and got into a lot of hijinks.  I've watched the episode of him on the train in Russia several times.  Some snowy night, you should borrow my DVDs and binge-watch them, even if you don't like NOFX's music.  Kent is worth it. 

I've looked for him every time I've seen the band.  So, after Marc spotted him, I walked up and tapped him and asked, "Kent, could I take a selfie with you?"  He said absolutely.  I said, "I loved you in the band series.  You were the best part."  He laughed.  I said, "But you're sober now, right?"  He said yes.  I said, "Congratulations."  He said, "Thanks!  But I'm still the best part."  It was pretty awesome.

Kent will always be the best part.


And with that, we walked back to our home-away-from-home behind Bally's for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment