Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Farley Hits the Desert Southwest, Day 17: I Shied Away From the Brothel Tour

We headed north out of Las Vegas, back into the unending desert.  We stopped for gas and a soda at the Area 51 Alien Center.  I couldn't resist a photo of the brothel but I did resist the free tour.  I wasn't sure what I might see but WAS pretty sure there was nothing I DID want to see.  All the Area 51 stuff cracked me up, too. 
The desert is always beautiful
at the beginning of the drive.

I hope the ladies here are prettier than the building.
Oh, the wonders this place held. 
And right next door to the brothel.
How did they know I wasn't one of them?
Because I look like one of them!
These are not gag alien glasses. 
They're my real sunglasses.
World's largest pistachio in New Mexico,
world's largest firecracker in Nevada.


Marc pulled me away from souvenier shopping for alien trinkets and we continued on toward Death Valley National Park.  I'd planned to do a few hikes, but it was 102 at the visitor's center when we got out of the car.  Sweet baby Jesus.  I'm a lizard, but I need a little acclimation from 80 to 102. So we just made stops at a couple of mining ghost towns and kept moving. 

I actually felt like I was in Burundi.


Wild desert burros.

Part of the Rhylolite mining ghost town.


We stopped for the night at Walker Lake.  Once again, it was dark when we got there, so we were happy to wak up to a gorgeous morning lake view.

 Not a bad view to wake up to!



1 comment:

  1. I cannot figure out where you are heading. Are you in California now? Back in Nevada? Are you aiming toward Spokane? Why?

    ReplyDelete